For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

Monday, February 15, 2010

It's Just a Number

I struggle with that big number that stares at me when I step on the scales. Why? I don't feel like I weigh that much and I don't think I weigh that much. I really believe the high number on that scale is due to so much muscle in my body. I am not a body builder or anything but I do have a lot of muscle, especially in my legs. So I am about to do something that I usually do not do because of embarrassment...tell you my weight. Right now, after losing 10 pounds I weigh 206.6. Yep, my starting weight was 216.6 and that isn't even my highest weight.

I know I shouldn't concentrate on the number on the scales. After years of trying out this diet, reading this and that I learned that the way to go is by measurements. However, I haven't done that. Why? It seems the world is obsessed with the numbers on the scale. I have decided to stop being obsessed with that number. Oh, I will certainly keep track of the scale number but I am also going to start keeping track of my measurements.

Here is an interesting article regarding 4 different ways to measure your progress without using the scales. Measure Progress Without the Scale

I recommend measuring your upper arm, waist, thigh and hips. Of course, by all means measure whatever you want. I have read to do this one time a month. However, I prefer to do it weekly or bi-weekly.

Join me today in getting rid of the scale obsession and start measuring!

3 comments:

  1. I will join you in this! :) I had to put my scale away so I wouldn't step on it every day. I like your way of thinking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How's the "number" issue going? Did you measure yourself? Are you still able to find some time to exercise?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I just found your blog through one of your other followers. I am going throug a similar journey of trying to lose weight. I just started 1.5 weeks ago. I have PCOS w/possible endometriosis, so I am on a no carbs no sugar diet. Not fun, but working. Follow me if interested!
    http://jesstryingtoconceive.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete